Skip to content Skip to navigation
The University of Arizona

Prospective Students

CCT Students in Class

Thank you for your interest in the CCT program!


The Certificate in College Teaching (CCT) Program is open to all post-baccalaureates.

If you are a student interested in the CCT Program, please click here to access an information sheet for your faculty advisor, for instance your thesis or dissertation chair. Faculty advisors of international students are advised to provide a letter of support.

Current UA graduate students: If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Card I-551 ("Greencard") holder and enrolled in a degree program at the UA, you are eligible for enrollment in the CCT. 

  • If you are an international graduate student, please check with the Global Initiatives International Student Services whether you are eligible for enrollment into a graduate certificate program. Coursework for our certificate program alone does not add up to full-time student status.

Faculty and staff: If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Card I-551 ("Greencard") holder and not currently enrolled as a UA graduate student, you must satisfy the Graduate College admission requirements and then enroll as a certificate-seeking graduate student. If you intend to take one or more courses, but not to apply to and complete the certificate, you may enroll as a non-degree seeking graduate student. You can find the Graduate College Admission requirements at: 

  • If you are NOT a U.S. citizen or Greencard holder, please check with Global Initiatives International Faculty and Scholars whether you are eligible for enrollment as a certificate-seeking student and consequent enrollment into a graduate certificate program. Make sure to ask about documenting English language proficiency and transcripts (important for Graduate College application) as well as required vaccinations (important for matriculation with Registrar).

Financial aid: CCT courses carry the same tuition and fees as other graduate-level courses. While there is no financial aid available through the OIA to complete the program, many graduate students use the benefits from their departmental teaching or research assistantships to cover tuition for the CCT courses. Similarly, faculty and staff often apply for Qualified Tuition Reduction. Please contact the CCT Coordinators for details.

Transfer credit: The following information applies to transfer credit request; please contact the CCT Coordinators for more information.

  • If you have already taken a course on teaching in your department and it is listed on the CCT approved electives list, you can transfer the course for the CCT program, even if you did not yet take the required IA 697a - Learner-Centered Teaching course. However, we highly recommend taking the IA 697a - Learner Centered Teaching course first.
  • If you took a course on college teaching that is not on our list of approved courses, course substitution may be possible.
  • If you have graduate credit from a different institution, please note that a course approved for transfer credit must have been taken no more than two years prior to admission to the CCT. Transfer credit is limited to 3 credit hours of elective course credit.

Courses without certificate: If you wish to use course credits earned in the CCT program to satisfy course requirements in your graduate program or a Multidiscipliary Minor, you can enroll in the courses without applying to the CCT program. Please contact your graduate advisor for more information on departmental requirements. The CCT Coordinators can provide any course documentation that may be requested.


Please do not hesitate to contact the CCT Coordinators for further information:

Erin Dokter, CCT Coordinator,

Mascha N. Gemein, CCT Graduate Coordinator,