Prospective Students

The Certificate in College Teaching (CCT) Program is open to all post-baccalaureates at UA Main Campus. The application deadlines are June 30th for the Fall Semester and October 30th for the Spring Semester. These deadlines apply to both domestic and international applicants.

If you are a student interested in the CCT Program, please click here to access an information sheet for your faculty advisor, for instance, your thesis or dissertation chair. 

Current UA Graduate Students

If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Card I-551 ("Greencard") holder and enrolled in a degree program at the UA Main Campus, you are eligible for enrollment in the CCT. 

If you are an international graduate student and enrolled in a degree program at the UA Main Campus, please check with the Global Initiatives International Student Services whether you are eligible for enrollment into a graduate certificate program. Coursework for our certificate program alone does not add up to full-time student status.

If you are enrolled in UA Online, you are NOT eligible to enroll in this certificate program because you are not allowed to be active on more than one campus at a time. UA Online and UA Main Campus are seen as separate campuses, and this certificate program is only offered at UA Main Campus.

Faculty and Staff

If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Card I-551 ("Greencard") holder and not currently enrolled as a UA graduate student, you must satisfy the Graduate College admission requirements and then enroll as a certificate-seeking graduate student. If you intend to take one or more courses, but not to apply to and complete the certificate, you may enroll as a non-degree seeking graduate student. You can find the Graduate College Admission requirements at: 

If you are NOT a U.S. citizen or Greencard holder, please check with Global Initiatives International Faculty and Scholars whether you are eligible for enrollment as a certificate-seeking student and consequent enrollment into a graduate certificate program. Make sure to ask about documenting English language proficiency and transcripts (important for Graduate College application) as well as required vaccinations (important for matriculation with Registrar).

Financial Aid

CCT courses carry the same tuition and fees as other graduate-level courses. For tuition and fees information, including a tuition calculator, please visit the UA Bursar. While there is no financial aid available through the OIA to complete the program, many graduate students use the benefits from their departmental teaching or research assistantships to cover tuition for the CCT courses. Similarly, faculty and staff often apply for Qualified Tuition Reduction.

Transfer Credit

The following information applies to transfer credit request; please contact the CCT Coordinators for more information.

  • If you have already taken a course on teaching in your department and it is listed on the CCT approved electives list, you can transfer the course for the CCT program, even if you did not yet take the required IA 697a - Learner-Centered Teaching course. However, we highly recommend taking the IA 697a - Learner-Centered Teaching course first.
  • If you took a course on college teaching that is not on our list of approved courses, a course substitution may be possible.
  • As per the Graduate College certificate policies, if you have graduate credit from a different institution, please note that a course approved for transfer credit must have been taken no more than two years prior to admission to the CCT. Transfer credit is limited to 3 credit hours of elective course credit.

Courses Without Certificate

If you wish to use course credits earned in the CCT program to satisfy course requirements in your graduate program or a minor, e.g., the Multidisciplinary Minor, you can enroll in the courses without applying to the CCT program. A maximum of 10 units of courses from the CCT program may be used for a Multidisciplinary Minor or another minor. Please contact your graduate advisor for more information on departmental requirements. For more about the 9-unit Multidisciplinary Minor please contact Elise Bowler, Graduate Student Academic Services, Graduate College. The CCT Coordinators can provide any course documentation that may be requested. Before you decide to apply up to 10 units of IA coursework to a minor, please meet with either Erin Galyen or Mascha Gemein to ensure availability for possible service on your Comprehensive Exam Committee.